Monday 7 June 2010

Ambushed........

I've been ambushed on a number of levels this weekend.....

It started when daughter #1 had her birthday sleepover - 8 giggling teenage girls from early Saturday morning for a mad day of adventure, food and party stuff and then all eventually sleeping in one room (sleeping in the loosest sense of the term!). I was glad when Sunday arrived as the ambush was then over !

A bit less than 14 years ago I was ambushed when I heard a lady called Rachel Hickson preaching - it was particularly memorable for 2 reasons - firstly my (now) 14 year old daughter was a babe-in-arms and she was sick down Rachel's skirt just before she got up to speak....she was undaunted of course and preached a fabulous message which at the time totally undid me - she spoke on the blood covenant of God - with Jesus exchanging his garments of righteousness with my garments of sin... I remember it well because it was another one of those ambush moments when it felt like God pulled the rug from under my feet as I understood afresh the magnitude of Jesus' sacrifice for me, and the wonder of the grace that I now live in. I haven't heard Rachel preach in many years but hearing that she was at the Kerith Centre in Bracknell yesterday I made my way there in the evening to 'put myself in the way of God'....

.....and was ambushed again....not so much by the particular message (which was good nonetheless) but simply by the presence of God in the place. On responding to the appeal at the end some dear friends prayed for me and spoke bible truth into me afresh and the tears flowed again at some pace....I just miss Karena so much! Eventually I made it home after feeling that I'd done 3 rounds with Mike Tyson.....

but lingering in my heart today are the scriptures....

(Phil 1:6)...Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus...and...

(Jer 29:11) "For I know the plans I have for You," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"


So tonight it's birthday tea which is prawn cocktail, Babotie (a South African dish) and then acres of chocolatey stuff ;-)

1 comment:

  1. It was so lovely to see you at church....even if you were ambushed....

    ReplyDelete