Wednesday 27 May 2015

Easter memories

There have been many memories from the Easter season....two of my children got baptised....it was a fabulous day.  In their words...

My name’s Lucy, I’m 16 years old and I’ve been in Reading Family Church for nearly 4 years now. I’ve been a Christian for as long as I can remember so I can’t give a specific time and date for that first moment of understanding-it happened slowly over many years. Both my parents were Christians, in fact around the time I was born my Dad started training to become a vicar however he died suddenly when I was still very young.  While he met Jesus face to face, my Mum brought up me and my brother. We lived in New Malden mostly, and as a child I first discovered Christianity though bible stories I heard through Mum and at church. I started at secondary school there, which I hated, and moved to Reading in 2011 which was also difficult but through these things I came to know and rely on Jesus more personally.  I also gained a stepdad, Craig, 3 more siblings, Esther, Ben and Olivia and moved to a new school which I enjoy much more. My Christian life also grew.  I joined Reading Family Church, where I’ve had a great time helping with the 3-to- 5 year olds in “Stars”, attending the youth group and meeting and learning about God at the Christian Youth camp, Newday, in 2012 and 2014.  So, I’ve decided to get baptised today because I believe that Jesus died and rose again and through this washed away my sins. In the Bible it commands Christians to be baptised.  I want to be obedient to this and follow God’s will in my life rather than my own.
 

Hello, I’m Ben.  I grew up in a Christian family and I have been going along to church for as long as I can remember.  I am so grateful to my parents for introducing me to Christ early and now I have great Christian friends and role models in my life.  I would say I became a Christian when I was around 6 years old despite having very limited knowledge about who Jesus was and what he has done for me. Since then I have grown in my relationship with God but for me being a Christian hasn’t meant an easy life.  In 2008 when I was 10 years old, my mum was diagnosed with cancer. At the end of a horrible journey together, I remember sitting down in the Duchess of Kent House Hospice with mum, dad Sean and Liz and was told my mum was going to die. On the 12th of February 2010 she died but my faith in Jesus Christ makes me confident I will see her again when Jesus calls me home. My dad’s continuous trust in God’s plan for our lives rubbed off on me and my faith didn’t waver despite the incredibly hard journey I had to walk.  Looking back now I can see how right he was. Dad met Ellie and now I have a great step-mum along with another brother and sister bringing our family to a grand total of 7 people. So today I’m getting baptized because I believe I’m forgiven and as an act of obedience as I choose to pursue Jesus for the rest of my life.
 
Trying to cater for 50 people after the baptism with no kitchen and no cooker was a challenge....yes, the building work still keeps going on...but is now nearing completion (at last).  There has been a skip on our driveway since last July....we are looking forward to seeing the back of it in the next few weeks!  Recently I overheard Ellie reply to one of the children that the herbs were "in the kitchen behind the scaffolding poles".....the saga continues... 

No comments:

Post a Comment